google

Google

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Bulls On Parade

For those of you who use Flickr you are probably aware of the 365 Days Group, if not, the basic premise is that you take and post a picture a day for 365 Days. Okay easy enough right? Nope. It's hard looking at yourself and then giving it to the net to critique. Every day. PMS, pre-mature balding, the biggest pimple known to mankind all of those things will be documented by photographs, sure you can photoshop it but the fact is you will pose, take the picture and see the pre-photoshopped image. Every day for a year. Did I mention every day? Most bloggers hide behind fake names and cute pictures that coyly hint at who they may be or who they want to present to the world. 365 Days puts you out there for real. End of story. That's Y.O.U. O.N. D.I.S.P.L.A.Y .

My feelings on 365 days is that it can be artistic, narcissistic, or self discovery (istic), or maybe a little of each. I have hundreds of shots I haven't put on Flickr and the ones I have are in the set "self-portraits". I usually like the expressions on my face or pose as they correspond with my ever changing moods, but this project isn't for everyone, I have totally been freaked out by how ugly I can appear on certain days. Maybe it's just my mood when I view them or maybe they really do look like mug shots. I don't take it seriously, so I just borrowed the concept and applied my own rules... It is what it is.. It's amazing how beautiful some of the shots when I'm in a dark mood can be, I find those much more interesting than the calm, cool, collected sane day pictures. Honey's fav picture of recent is from a dark set and he uses it as a desktop background.. I think the appeal is exotic, complicated, and a desire to find out what makes me tick... We were going through some of the old ones and he said Don't get me wrong but you look horrible in those pictures and you know I think you are the most beautiful girl in the world. I wasn't offended I was too busy staring at these pictures with the same look a person might look at a train wreck. Who in the hell is that? Is that really me? Is it the angle , the lighting, a vitamin deficiency? I don't know you, this is not the same person I see when I look in the mirror. Am I ugly or am I pretty? Or just a girl, any girl the kind you might not even see because she blends into the wall, and if you do notice her, do you think oops, bad genes for sure, poor thing. And you shudder and move on.

So instead of joining the 365 days officially, I'm a renegade 365 day'er. A sometimes pretty, sometimes grotesque yahoo with a camera and alot of time on my hands..and that's ok.

No comments: