google

Google

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

It's really ok not to finish a book or movie

I'm returning Netflix movies without finishing watching them. I do that a lot these days. I use to be able to watch any movie, not so much now. And books? I thought if it was given to me or I checked it out or bought it, I actually had to read it. All of it. Now, I return books that I haven't even cracked open, maybe someday I'll check it out again. The fines were killing me. It finally dawned on me that maybe the reason I couldn't get into it is because it sucked. I use to think if it was published or somebody made a movie out of it, it HAD to be good, and something was wrong with me if I couldn't trudge through it. Maybe as I get older and less influenced by what I read or watch, I'm defining my personal taste. Believe me when I do stumble upon a writer I love now, I go through all of their books at an alarming rate. So I know I can still see the words and actually have them sink in. I use to scoff at my husband for not wanting to watch the newest indie flick I ordered from Netflix, I thought maybe he should broaden his horizons give it a shake you know, see how other people do things.
So today I put two of the movies I rented back into their envelopes to send back. One I watched, the other just kinda sucked and I turned it off after 5 mins of it. And I have one more here at home, which still might pan out to be a good flick, I still have to give it a go. But I won't watch it to the end just because I have it.

4 miles on foot to nowhere.

3 comments:

xxxx said...

What movies were they??

TTQ said...

One was Hitch, which I liked. The other I can't remember and am too lazy to look up right now

Frannie Farmer said...

I can do it with movies .. but not books. Which explains why the public library practically owns my a$$. :O)