google

Google

Thursday, July 13, 2006

My phone rings this morning:

Hello?
TTQ?
yes?
It's Sunshine. (Not her real name)
hi Sunshine.
Did you get my e-mail?
Yes
Oh ok, I wasn't sure
I got it
I really am sorry.
( silence-I'm at a loss for words)

Wait, wait, let me back this up. Sunshine is a friend, or was a friend. She and I met through mutual friends in a women's group I go to. We started hanging out, because she like me, is free during the day and we had some things in common. Well one thing now that I think about it.
So she offers to help me with my wedding, so I introduce her to my trusty sidekick LaLa. We all meet to hash out ideas, keep in mind that I already know what I want, I just need some key people to help me organize my bridesmaids and decorating. LaLa and hubby never quite warm up to Sunshine and Sunshine wants to change everything. Yikes!
Sunshine also takes the initiative to seek out my mother, introduce herself and tell my mother all the things she's doing for my wedding. Great my mother is being stalked by strangers. So I let her know I wasn't to keen on her doing that, anyway that blows over. Sunshine quits going to our group, and wants me to come visit her at her house, when she is free. I e-mail her that if she wants to meet up, come to group and we will catch up. So she shows up once. Then I get an e-mail saying she can't come to the bridal shower, can I go to her house to pick up my gift?

This is the week of the wedding, I am crazy busy with fittings, nails, hair, out of town guests, food details, etc. ad nauseum... next I get an e-mail saying how disappointed she is with our so called "friendship" etc. How I am too busy to do anything with her etc. So she doesn't show up for the wedding, no surprise. Somehow we muddled through without her.

A friend who flew in from Maine for the wedding asked about her at the reception, and I gave her a brief rundown of the e-mail I got two days before my wedding about her being disappointed with me, and that I felt that maybe I was in the wrong. She said it was inconsiderate of Sunshine to be petty when I had so much on my plate. So she calls Sunshine and jumps all over her (as quoted by Sunshine).
My dilemma, is this friendship worth all the drama? Any advice?

1 comment:

Mummerina said...

Definately not - especially not for someoen who hasnt been a long term mate. You might put up with it for something you have been friends with for years - but not someone you met recently!